Tandoori Chicken accompanied with apple juice was the standard order for us ( I and sis) whenever we were visiting any restaurant.My sister in fact was even ready to have Tandoori Chicken as her first meal of the day:) breakfast.
My little ones too cherish the dish, only they find the restaurant ones a bit to spicy to handle. Hence the one coming from my kitchen is definitely less on spice and no added colour. I also try to make the healthier version with negligible usage of oil. I use olive oil but any vegetable oil can substitute that.
Tandoori Chicken is a classic Indian dish which with time has become popular all over Asia and other continents. It’s generally prepared in cylindrical clay oven. People makes it in barbeques too. For me its the traditional oven Grill function.
I serve tandoori chicken with Mint Yogurt Chutney dip if it’s served as a starter and with some tangy salad if it’s the main dish.
This is a no measurement recipe as I have used all ingredients as per my intuition and the quantity of chicken I plan to cook.
- Chicken ( drumstick if its starter or full leg pieces along with thighs if its served as a meal)
- Onion Paste
- Ginger and Garlic Paste
- Garam Masala
- Red Paprika for the colour ( non spicy ones)
- Cumin Powder
- Coriander Powder
- Turmeric Powder (a pinch)
- Meat masala
- Olive oil (1 Tsp)
- Mix all the ingredients except the chicken and place it in a food processor
- Make some slashes on the chicken so that the marinate soaks in
- Marinate the chicken and keep it overnight or for at least 4/5 hours
- Pre-heat the oven at 200 degree C
- Place the chicken on the rack and slather the marinade well
- Grill for 25 minutes
- Turn the other side and slather the marinade well. Here you can also spray a little cooking oil ( which I generally avoid)
- Grill again for 25 minutes
- Squeeze lime juice before serving